(Bad Art Created With Cheap Office Supplies!)

Bad Art Created With Cheap Office Supplies!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Round and Round

.


.

     This is another drawing that was "born on the train" somewhere between downtown LA and the Burbank station.

     On these trains, I am going against the flow of commuter traffic, and I can always get a "table seat" to draw on. If I was going the other direction I probably wouldn't, as those trains are PACKED and it's very nearly standing room only. 

     Mind you, I don't try to get out my dip pens on the train. The ink would go flying all over everything if I tried that. But the pencil sketch underneath it all, the main IDEA of the thing…that I can do on the train. 

     [Do you see the pencil sketch underneath it all? No. Because it all gets erased after I lay down the initial layer of thin ink outline. That is the simple secret behind all great pen-and-ink drawings, if you didn't know. It looks like the pen and ink artist was a pure genius who committed to a perfect ink line right from the start. But there is all kinds of mistakes, corrections, re-dos, frustrations and overworking that is done at the pencil stage. The commitment to ink comes later.]

.


No comments:

Post a Comment